Subscribe to the Famous Daily to get the Born Today Email
"Won't you come into the garden? I would like my roses to see you."
Richard Brinsley Sheridan
English satirist, parliamentarian
"All colors are the friends of their neighbors and the lovers of their opposites."
"Art is not a mirror to reflect the world, but a hammer with which to shape it."
"Oh, I wish that God had not given me what I prayed for! It was not so good as I thought!"
"Unlike Christianity, which preached a peace that it never achieved, Islam unashamedly came with a sword."
Sir Stephen Runciman
"1) Avoid fried meats which angry up the blood.
2) If your stomach disputes you, lie down and pacify it with cool thoughts.
3) Keep the juices flowing by jangling around gently as you move.
4) Go very light on the vices, such as carrying on in society. The social ramble ain't restful.
5) Avoid running at all times.
6) Don't look back. Something might be gaining on you."
US baseball player
"The violinist must possess the poet's gift of piercing the protective hide which grows on propagandists, stockbrokers, and slave traders, to penetrate the deeper truth which lies within."
"White folks needs what black folks got just as much as black folks needs what white folks got, and we's all got to stay here mongst each other and git along, that's what."